When you have a 2-month-old, your baby and you have been around each other long enough to get to know one another. Maybe you are starting to find it easier to interpret his/her cries for example.
Having a 2-month-old baby can also mean being DEAD TIRED. Really. Make sure to check out my tips for catching more sleep as a new mom.
Now many babies are becoming more social and also use their bodies more and more. Don’t ever leave your baby alone on the changing table!
Now, what can you expect for a 2-month-old?
Not so much yet, but compared to only a few weeks back, his or her vision has improved quite significantly and he is also likely to have found his hands.
And reaching those milestones, he or she is now ready for some new toys. Trying to reach colorful objects is great fun!
Guide to The 2-Month-Old Baby
2-Month-Old Baby Development Milestones
Being a 2-month-old, your baby “should” be able to:
- Lift their head if placed on their stomach
- Open their hands
- Smile back at you
- Talk a little bit (grunting, cooing, etc)
Here are some more milestones:
- Your baby’s vision has improved so much that your baby starts to find more detailed patterns and colors interesting.
- His/her hearing is good and your baby is likely to will turn his/ head towards different sounds to see where they come from.
- As your baby has found his/her hands and started to get some control of them, he will start putting his hands and everything in them in his mouth. At this point in time, he may also start drooling a lot. If he gets really wet, uses a bib to protect his clothes.
- Gaining control over his body, your baby will start practicing to roll over. Probably not completely just yet, but maybe from his back to side, for example. Some babies actually roll from stomach to back already, but probably not deliberately.
- She will also start kicking and stretching her legs more and more and wave her arms.
- Your baby’s sleep pattern has started to mature and he/she probably sleeps more at night than during the day. Now is a good time to slowly start introducing some sort of sleep routines.
- The 2-month-old baby is becoming more and more interested in “talking to” people for every day that passes. Mom, dad, and siblings are however her favorites.
- Another positive development is that most babies start crying less (unless they have colic). The amount of crying generally culminates at around 6 weeks and then subsides.
Games To Play With Your 2-Month-Old
The 2-month-old baby often loves walking. If you hold him/her upright on a flat surface, he will start moving his legs. Great fun!
Now is also the right time to help your baby practice to reach out for objects. Hold a toy in front of your baby and encourage her to reach for it.
Your baby may also enjoy the sound a rattle coming from different directions around him. Make some noise and wait until he has found its source until you move the rattle.
Follow the fly is another game that my babies have enjoyed. Sit in a chair and pretend that your finger is a fly. Let the fly fly around while making a buzzing sound. Let the fly land on different places on your baby and tickle him a little bit. Do this a few times and then use your baby’s finger instead as the fly.
If you haven’t done it yet, buy a baby play gym. You don’t have to buy an expensive one because it will only last as a toy for a few months. (Unless you plan for siblings, of course…)
Anyway if not yet, your baby will soon be very interested in trying to touch things with her newly discovered hands. Then a baby play gym is great!
If you don’t want to buy anything, hang a few bright items in strings under a chair and place your baby beneath it. That works fine too, at least for a while.
Now also brightly colored soft rattles and other toys and pictures start being really interesting.
The 2-Month-Old Baby on Video
In this video, you can see the typical “talking” that many babies of the age really enjoys. Adorable, don’t you think? And now a lot more chubby and and the classical baby look now than just a few weeks ago.
Where would you like to go next?