When my baby lost his umbilical stump, his belly button was read and raw until treated with silver nitrate. Now my baby's belly button is opening up again?
Here you’ll find all the questions about sick babies answered here at Easy Baby Life. Questions include what to do when your baby has a cold, is running a fever or seems to have a stomach bug. You’ll find babies with eye infections, mucus, seizures, a bad cough and many more issues.
Sometimes it is difficult to know if a baby really is ill or not. Here are some signs that your baby is sick. This is not a complete list, and since you know your child the best, following your intuition regarding changes in your baby’s health is important.
Some signs that your infant is ill:
– Fever equal to or greater than 100.4F (38 C) by rectum. If your baby is less than 6 weeks old with a fever of 100.4F (38 C) or higher, call the doctor immediately.
– Vomiting (not just spitting up) more than one feeding in a day and your baby doesn’t usually do this (for example from acid reflux).
– Diarrhea or loose watery stools that are more frequent than usual.
– Refusal to eat for more than one feeding, gets unusually tired while suckling or falling asleep in the middle of successive feedings.
– Lethargy or listlessness, i.e. sudden and prolonged decrease in activity level.
– Unusual skin rash.
– Fast breathing (over 70 times per minute) or difficulty breathing. Fast breathing can mean a high fever so check your baby’s temperature.
– Persistent irritability.
Now head on to the Q&As!
Q&A: My sick baby will not drink anything! ER sent us home, but I am very worried! Here's how to combat dehydration at home when your baby refuses to drink.
Baby makes stranges sounds and gasps when pooping and after and even when changing diaper. What can this be? (Find reasons here!)
Finding bleeding in a baby's diaper can be very scary. Find reasons for blood in a baby's diaper here, including blood from baby's vagina and stools.
My 7-month-old baby has had a persistent cough for 1.5 months now. What can cause a chronic cough in baby and what home remedies should I try?
Q&A: Our baby's arms start to shake when he is attempting to grab something or when annoyed or sleepy. Is it a neuro problem? Find possible reasons here!
Q&A: How can I help my baby with acid reflux? He cries a lot and I'm feeding him plenty. How can I make him more comfortable? Find tips here!
If a baby or toddler gets so angry, starts to hyperventilate and passes out, is it normal or illness? Read about breath-holding spells and hyperventilation!
My 13 month old baby shakes uncontrollably after waking up. The periods are getting longer. Should I inform the doctor, or if its just her way of waking up?
It is surprisingly common for babies to have sweaty hands and feet and even more; sweaty heads. Learn what may be causing this and when to worry.
My poor baby coughs until she throws up and I am worried. She developed a nasty cough after a cold and is now coughing until she throws up. What could this be?
My 2-year-old has a habit of eating wall paint, sand, talcum powder, etc. He eats less regular food. I am worried. It can't be normal that a toddler eats sand!