Do you remember when your baby took his very first steps? It is a magical moment for sure!
The baby walking polls below are about both the very first steps and about actually starting to when your baby actually learned to walk. It is, of course, subjective what walking is, but let’s say it is when your baby starts to chose to walk rather than to crawl to actually get somewhere further away than just a few steps.
A lot of babies take their first steps at around 9 to 12 months old, but actual walking begins at around 14 or 15 months for the average baby. But there are great variations. Some really walk already at 10 months old; other wait until they are 17 or 18 months old or even more.
How do Babies Learn to Walk?
Babies and toddlers don’t just start to walk one day. There are several steps and milestones that babies tend to go through before they take their actual first steps.
1. Tummy time! The very first milestones towards walking are actually achieved through tummy time! During the tummy time, babies’ neck and back are strengthened and their head control increases. In addition, the tummy time is important for learning to roll over and eventually sit up. If your baby hates tummy time, check out the tips in this post.
2. Crawling. At some point, your baby starts to move around, usually by some variation of crawling. (Check out our crawling poll here!) When the crawling is mastered, the baby will start pulling themselves up to standing, followed by cruising.
3. Cruising. When your baby starts cruising while holding on to furniture, walking is usually near! first, of course, your baby will pull themselves up to standing and start talking a step or two while holding onto something. But when the cruising is done with more confidence, the first independent steps are near!
4. First steps. Once your baby has taken their first steps, it is only a matter of time before they start walking. Time can, however, vary. Some babies start walking very quickly, while others prefer to cruise or crawl for quite some time. My oldest son took his first steps quite early, but continued to crawl when he needed speed until he was 20 months old!
5. Walking! Eventually, your baby will really start to walk. The run! Many 18-month-old toddlers seem to be unable to walk – they just run! 🙂 Your baby or toddler will also start climbing stairs and chairs. This is an intense period when you really have to baby proof your home and never leave your little one alone.
Exhaustive but fun!
Baby Walking Milestones on Video
Here is a great video that shows all the milestones a baby goes through for learning to walk. And below it, you’ll find the baby walking polls!
Baby Walking Polls
Now, let’s check out the baby walking polls! As I wrote earlier, we have two of them; one for your baby’s first steps and one for when your baby learned to walk.
When did your baby learn to walk? Vote below! Share your experience and learn about others’ situations. One vote for each child or yours! 🙂
When Did Your Baby Take His or Her First Step?
When Did Your Baby Learn To Walk?
Any surprises from the baby walking polls? When did your toddler or baby learn to walk? Comment with your thoughts below! 🙂
Here is a baby crawling poll, if you are interested, and here is a link to all polls, including breastfeeding, pregnancy, being a new parent and more!