When you are 10 weeks pregnant, your baby has started his or her very own exercise program. With arms and legs that can now bend, there are a lot of new abilities to practice. To watch some amazing videos showing fetal development, click here.
For mom, this is a good time to start exercising too, especially if nausea and exhaustion are subsiding. You’ll find tips and advice regarding pregnancy yoga here.
In this article:
Your Baby’s Development
The fetal age of your baby is now 8 weeks. Even though he or she is still tiny, he (she) already looks like a little baby in many ways. And acts like a little baby too!
Your uterus has now become an inside playground. The little baby has begun to move inside you, kicking and waving more than you can ever imagine.
Although you cannot feel the movements yet, you will in time be able to recognize each time your little one rolls over, kicks or even hiccups.
And if you do an ultrasound this week, the heartbeat will be easily seen, as will be the umbilical cord. It can also be possible to see the spine. And possibly, you could now even hear the heartbeat of your baby through the ultrasound!
Here is more on what is going on with your baby this week:
- Approximately 1.2 inches (3 cm) long from crown to rump, weighing less than a sixth of an ounce (around 4 grams), your baby now has fully functional organs and details are beginning to be more apparent.
- Swallowing fluid is something your baby is practicing now while swimming around on the inside.
- Tiny fingernails, fussy hair, and even limbs that can bend at the wrist and ankles help give your little one a more human appearance.
- The head is approximately half the size of the body overall, bulging slightly at the forehead to account for the developing brain, but rest assured that everything will settle into place as the weeks go by. Your baby can now shake his head – or well, at least move it.
- If you could see your little one now, the spine is visible along with all the nerves, branching out through the body.
Some women find those annoying pregnancy symptoms are starting to ease up now.
Energy levels can be notably higher and you may get some of your appetite back, so don’t be surprised if you start having those weird pregnancy cravings!
Certain smells may still bother you and those carrying twins may still be waiting for the day that their extreme nausea subsides.
You may notice some skin changes around this week as well.
Linea Nigra is a dark vertical line of pigmentation that may show up on your abdomen, but don’t be alarmed. This is a very common thing and will subside after pregnancy. An old wife’s tale is that a short linea nigra, only to the navel, means a girl and a long means a boy.
Your uterus is now above your pelvic bone that makes it easy for your medical provider to feel it during an external examination. If you lie down flat on your back, you might even be able to feel it yourself by pressing gently just above your pelvis bone.
If you are now less nauseated and tired, consider starting to exercise. An excellent prenatal yoga course is “this class by Jane Austin It is the perfect course to start prenatal yoga. In pregnancy week 10, you are not yet really the target group, but it is not like it is going to be of any harm! If you are still a bit tired and nauseated, but wants to do something for yourself and your body, yoga is a great way!
Constipation is a common discomfort with women during this early time in pregnancy; sometimes it can be due to the prenatal vitamins that you are taking, while others find it is caused by the change in hormones that are slowing up digestion.
Either way, eating a balanced diet and getting enough fluids can help ease this symptom. You’ll find more information about healthy eating during pregnancy here.
Prenatal testing can be part of your routine visit to your doctor if you are over 35 years of age or considered a high risk.
For other women, you may opt to go with prenatal testing just for your own piece of mind. In some places, you can choose not to take part in prenatal testing at all.
Remember to go with what you are personally comfortable with. It is your body and your baby and you should do what you feel is right, even now before the birth.
Fun Stuff to Buy and Do This Week
- Maybe you are still very worried about miscarriage – I know I was! But even so, or at least very soon, reading a pregnancy book is a great way to learn what is going on in your baby and eventually prepare for giving birth. The book What to Expect When You’re Expecting is a great read throughout your pregnancy. The best-ever selling pregnancy book came out in a new edition in May 2016.
- Is your waist expanding? Beachcoco Women’s Maternity Fold Over Comfortable Lounge Pants It might be time for your first maternity pants. These are cheap, soft and work well already in the first and second trimesters.
Week 10 Pregnancy Video
Diary of a Daughter
Are you also 10 weeks pregnant? Please share your experiences and thoughts by leaving a comment below!
More about the 1st trimester
- Poll: Is your sex drive higher or lower?
- Effective remedies for morning sickness and not
- Miscarriage statistics week by week
MayoClinic (2011), Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
Joanne Stone MD and Keith Eddleman MD (2008) The Pregnancy Bible: Your Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Early Parenthood
Nilsson, L; Hamberger, L. (2004) A Child Is Born.
Soderberg, L. (2010) Mammapraktika. B Wahlstroms.