13 weeks pregnant is a true milestone for many pregnant moms. It sure was for me! Miscarriage risk is going down and the first trimester is coming to an end. Already one third of the pregnancy done. Wow!
You have probably also started to put on some weight, and there is more to come. Learn about weight gain during pregnancy here.
In this article:
Your Baby’s Development
The fetal age of your baby is now 11 weeks and you are going through the last week of the first trimester.
Now you are 1/3 through your pregnancy and entering the fourth month of pregnancy. It goes quite fast, don’t you think?
Here’s what your baby is up to this week:
- Your baby is now almost 3 inches in length (7.6 cm) and weighs about 0.7 of an ounce (19.8 gram). It is comparable to a peach in length, but looks almost like a miniature version of a newborn baby.
- Fine hairs are growing on your baby’s body and even eyebrows are growing.
- Although your little one’s head is still comparatively larger to the rest of the body, his or her eyes and ears are now in the right place of the face.
- The intestines are now moving further into the body while the pancreas is producing insulin that is necessary for regulating sugar levels in the body later on in life.
- The placenta that is entirely functional now supplies the baby with oxygen, vitamins, minerals fats and proteins. Removed carbon dioxide and waste materials are filtered through the placental tissues. The placenta is still quite large in size compared to your baby and allows everything that the mother experiences to be for the baby as well. At least the good parts. The placenta is very effective in protecting the baby from immune attacks and some harmful substances (but not all, like alcohol for example.)
- Few congenital birth defects develop after the 3rd month of pregnancy. For example, spina bifida and cleft palate both develop as early as the fifth or sixth week of pregnancy.
The 2nd trimester is sometimes referred to as the “honeymoon stage” since many symptoms from the pregnancy will ease up, energy levels return, along with libido for some women.
Some mothers-to-be will find themselves glowing due to the increase in circulation of their body that gives them that attractive pregnancy look.
You may start experiencing some muscle aching or cramping due to your abdominal muscles stretching in order to prepare your body for your growing baby. This is referred to as round ligament pain.
This can be anywhere from a dull ache in your abdomen to sharp but brief pain and can be relieved by taking it easy and making sure to change your positions when sitting or sleeping.
Although your “baby belly” isn’t that large and getting in the way yet, soon you will be able to see exactly how much the muscles can stretch to accommodate your growing baby.
If you still have a waist, it will soon be gone. Very soon you will not fit into anything but your new, sassy maternity clothes…
For some women, their breasts are changing in shape and beginning to produce colostrum, which is the nutrient-rich fluid that will feed your baby in the first few days after birth before your regular breast milk is produced.
You may still feel some discomfort in your breasts, and even lumpiness from the developing mammary glands, but that will subside periodically as well.
You may find an increase in heartburn due to the stomach acids travelling back up your food pipe. Help alleviate these symptoms by eating smaller, more frequent meals that include a balanced diet rather than greasy, fried foods.
Which pregnancy body changes are you experiencing? Vote in our pregnancy body changes poll and compare with other moms.
Week 13 Video Gallery
Do you know what my baby is ? Make a Guess!!! http://www.expectnet.com/games/BabyApril19 ***I wil
you can know more important about Symptoms at 13 weeks pregnant, 13 weeks pregnant, and Pregnancy
Q A 1:51 Symptoms 4:51 Diet/Fitness/Weight Gain 8:27 Bump Shot 9:52 Daily/Weekly Vlog Channel: ..
13 weeks pregnant right! In this week your baby s vocal cords are beginning to develop. Read more
Track your baby s development with free, personalized emails. From the #1 global parenting resour
LOOK BELOW**** Thank you everyone for joining my channel. We are a military family of four, soon
13 WEEKS PREGNANT UPDATE BELLY SHOT Myka Stauffer Pregnancy Vlog. This is my 13 week pregnanc
I m officially in the 2nd trimester! Other than that, not much happening this week. Let me know i
Morning Sickness Tips for moms in their first trimester of pregnancy. I m 12 weeks pregnant now a
your pregnancy 4 Month Week (13 16). Learn more about during baby growth development.
Diary of a Daughter
Are you also 13 weeks pregnant? Please share your experiences and thoughts by leaving a comment below!
- Miscarriage statistics week by week
- See what your baby is up to in these fetal development videos
- Breast changes during pregnancy and beyond
MayoClinic (2011), Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
Joanne Stone MD and Keith Eddleman MD (2008) The Pregnancy Bible: Your Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Early Parenthood
Nilsson, L; Hamberger, L. (2004) A Child Is Born.
Soderberg, L. (2010) Mammapraktika. B Wahlstroms.
Image 1: Image of 13 weeks belly by Graham and Sheila
Image 2: Image 2 of 13 weeks belly by Mylissa