17 Tips For Getting Pregnant
Boost Your Health, Eating Habits And Fertile Awareness
Here you'll find tips for getting pregnant related to your lifestyle and the timing of your most fertile days. If you want to get pregnant fast - or at least maximize your chances every month, there are some steps you might want to take to enhance your fertility. In addition to making love during your most fertile days, you may for example want to look over your diet, your weight and how often you make love.
For the average couple, the chances to conceive are somewhere between 10% and 20% in every cycle, depending on age and health. So even if it takes 6 months or even more before you get pregnant, it is still considered completely normal.
For many women and men, once they have decided to try to get pregnant, it becomes a big frustration and worry when nothing happens. It is tough. The waiting, hoping, timing of ovulation, counting days to menstruation... Not very sexy!
If you are lucky, you will get pregnant on your first or second try. Most will not. Of course, several things can be done to increase your chances of getting pregnant.
Tips For Getting Pregnant
Important Health Tips
- See your gynecologist. It's a good idea to have a checkup before you try to conceive. This way any medical problems can be dealt with before you try to get pregnant and your doctor can give you some helpful advice on getting pregnant too. Also remember that if the mom is older than 35 years, the general advice is to see a gynecologist no later than after six months of unsuccessfully trying to get pregnant. For women younger than 35 years, the advice is usually to see a doctor after 12 months of trying.
- Stop taking birth control as soon as possible. You're obviously going to need to stop with any kind of birth control that you are using. Anything hormone related can remain in your body and interfer with your fertility for a couple of months efter stopping the the hormones. Therefor, it can sometimes take a couple of months for you to get your cycle back to normal. One option is to stop using pills for example and instead use condom for a while until you want to start trying to conceive.
- Stop smoking. This can reduce your fertility. It can also reduce fertility in your partner, so have him quit too for the best results.
- You should stop drinking alcohol too, or at least cut down to only light drinking. Heavy drinking can cause problems with ovulation, and if you do get pregnant, you'll need to abstain anyway. You can learn more about how alcohol affects fertility here.
- Stay at a healthy weight. Women and men who are overweight find it more difficult to conceive a baby, so you need to stay at a healthy weight to optimize your chances. Read more about weight and fertility in women here. And learn here about the link between weight and fertility in men.
- Don't get all stressed when you want to get pregnant. This is one of the most important tips to remember, and the most hopeless to follow once the months without conceiving pass by. You're more likely to get pregnant if you're relaxed, so whatever you can do, including following all our other tips and knowing that you are maximizing your chances to get pregnant, may help to keep the stress away.
You can learn more about the connection between your and your spouse's health and your odds of getting pregnant here.
Your Eating Habits
- Get help for eating disorders if you deal with them or they will make getting pregnant difficult. Many women with eating disorders don't even have periods, so if this is a problem you deal with, get help now.
- Cut back on caffeine or give it up entirely. Some studies show that those who drink caffeine are less likely to get pregnant.
- Eating a healthy diet is one of the important tips to remember too. This can help you keep your weight in check and can keep your body in top shape so you can more easily get pregnant.
Sperm Count Tips
- Your guy's sperm count is important to you getting pregnant. Have him avoid tight jeans and underwear, which can decrease sperm count.
- Don't have sex too often. If you overdo the sex, this can drop your guys sperm count, making it harder to get pregnant. However, research does give somewhat contradicting results here. According to some studies more sex is always better than less.
- Don't douche either if you are interested in getting pregnant. Women who douche are less likely to get pregnant and researches think this may stop the sperm.
- Another of the tips for getting pregnant to remember is to avoid lubricants during sex. This can change the balance in your vagina, keeping the sperm from being able to swim toward the egg.
The Right Time
To understand what is going on in your body during the weeks before conception, read our articles on the first week of pregnancy and the second week of pregnancy. (Clue: These two weeks are actually when you are menstruating and ovulating, but they are calculated as your first two weeks of your pregnancy if you do get pregnant.)
You can also learn all about basal body temperature charting here.
Other Options to Try
- There are herbal supplements that some women think helps with getting pregnant. Although there are not a lot of studies backing them up yet, they may be worth a try. Chaste Tree Berry, Dong Quai, False Unicorn Root (Helonais), and Wild Yam Root
are four herbs that are often mentioned for having positive effects on the female reproductive system and hence the fertility. Just talk to your doctor before you try these option.
- Acupuncture is another alternative option to try out. Some small studies suggest it may help you to get pregnant. One of my own best friends actually finally conceived and carried a baby to term after four miscarriages, after trying acupuncture. Learn more about acupuncture for fertility here.
Fertility Book Tips
If you want to more information and tips for getting pregnant, check out any of these books.
Would other parents find this valuable? Share it!
More About Getting Pregnant
Psst..! Follow Us...
What baby info are you looking for?
Sharing Is Caring...
Psst..! Follow Us...
More About Getting Pregnant