My baby is 4 months old. At birth, she had a fair color but within 2 months her color is now dark. Why has my baby’s skin color changed so much and is there anything I can do to make her fair again?
Development Of Babies’ Skin Color
What a beautiful baby girl you have! Congratulations!
Regarding her skin color, it is completely normal that she has become darker with age. Most babies are relatively fair, even pink when newborn, but depending on race and genes, the baby’s skin then changes during the first year to its real color. So there is no need to worry at all!
I would guess, since you are from India, that you are affected by the ideal that fair is in some way better than dark. The best you can do is to try to ignore these old traditions that say absolutely nothing about the qualities of your daughter. Our children need us to love them just the way they are; not wishing for them to be something else.
Also, there isn’t much you can do about it. I know there are old recommendations to massage babies with milk or powder, for example, to make the skin fair, but that doesn’t help at all; these recommendations are all pure myths. Keeping your daughter out of the direct sunlight is good of course, not the least for protecting her from being burnt.
The way a baby’s skin color develops over time is the following:
- At birth, most babies, regardless of race, are to some extent purple-reddish.
- After a day or two, the purple becomes more pink, due to blood vessels being visible through the newborn baby’s very thin skin.
- At this time, some babies get a yellowish skin color due to physiological jaundice; common in newborn babies.
- The newborn baby’s feet might be purple for a while, due to blood circulation not yet mature.
- Over the coming six months, the baby’s true skin color will develop, which is entirely controlled by genes, and not something we can control at all.
To empower yourself to fight old values regarding skin color, I recommend the book Living Color: The Biological and Social Meaning of Skin Color. It does not specifically deal with skin color values in India but on a broader level.
Update: This question has received a lot of comments, join in below! 🙂
Comments for “My Baby Is Becoming Darker!”
We have changed to a new commenting system. Add your comments below or return to Baby Rashes Q&A.